Church History
  
 
Historical Sketch
 
Hardy Central Baptist Church had its beginnings in 1890, as a small group of Christians who met twice a month in the Central Schoolhouse to worship and for Sunday School.  This same group built the first house of worship, a one room structure lit with oil lamps and heated with a wood stove on land adjacent to the schoolhouse.  This was a mission of the Four Mile Creek Baptist Church.  Most of the early pastors were shared with the mother church.  The Church was admitted into the membership of the Dover Baptist Association on December 8, 1895.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rev. Allen F. Hardy was the first pastor.  The church’s name was derived from Rev. Hardy and the church’s location on Central Road which later was changed to Darbytown Road.
 
The first building and furniture were constructed by the members.  The Ladies Aid Society of the church purchased the Central Schoolhouse as a place of worship.  This building was destroyed by a fire then later a building of similar size was constructed to replace it.
 
In July 1925, Hardy Central launched out on faith towards self support.  Growth was steady and in 1932 under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Welford A. Brooks, a wing was added to the sanctuary and an elementary department of the Sunday School was started.
 
On February 10, 1935 property on which the church stands was deeded to the church by James and Sarah Hughes.  Progress continued and in 1937 four classrooms, a baptistry, and choir loft was dedicated.
 
An educational building was erected in 1954 and the church called its first full time minister Rev. John C. Edmonds, Jr. in that year.  A new sanctuary was dedicated September 10, 1967.
 
On September 9, 2003 the sanctuary was damaged by a fire.  Reconstruction took about 6 months to complete. Money was raised to replace the destroyed stained glass windows. New pictorial windows were custom designed by Shenandoah Windows Inc.. On Easter Sunday 2004 the newly renovated sanctuary was reoccupied by its church members.
 
Another expansion was voted on and on March 13, 2011 a ground breaking ceremony was held for the construction of a new fellowship building.  Evans Construction was hired and spent about a year to complete the project.  On May 16, 2012 a dedication ceremony and fellowship meal was held in the new building.
 
Hardy Central Baptist Church has the reputation of being a friendly church.  The goals of the church are to glorify Christ and to be obedient to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Edited Image 2014-12-9-12:11:55